E-commerce has revolutionised business conduct and is a gateway for several entrepreneurs to provide specific & innovative services. Local brands and new-age entrepreneurs have boomed in the past few years owing to supportive and encouraging government policies.
Subsequently, the demand for a reliable and efficient storage warehouse for sale has soared, ensuring expedited services. Hiranandani Industrial Parks is introducing versatile space solutions with a progressive infrastructure.
Intro to E-commerce warehousing
E-commerce warehousing is a process of storing and managing inventory for online businesses. It is a vital part of running an online store, as it ensures that products are available when customers want to purchase them.
Before setting up a warehouse, one must define their E-Commerce business. Here are a few categories–
- Depending on your E-Commerce model–
- B2C: The business directly sells to the individual consumer.
- B2B: The company transacts goods/services with other businesses.
- Depending on the category of your services–
- Wholesale– bulk sale, often to the retailers.
- Retail– selling to the consumers.
- Crowdfunding– advance revenue for raising money for the start-up.
- Dropshipping– manufactured & shipped by a third party.
- Subscription– recurring purchase of products as per periodical subscription.
The next array of parameters include– location, size, and type of storage. The most important factor is a location that is conducive to transportation. Warehouse logistics in Chennai have proven to be lucrative due to the industrial progression of the city.
Size is another crucial consideration, ensuring your warehouse can accommodate your inventory. For scaling your business, you may need to lease additional space or build an extension to your existing facility.
Hiranandani Industrial Parks offers warehouse rental spaces in Chennai that specifically cater to your prerequisites.
Here are a few strategies to consider for setting up your E-Commerce business.
Advantages of Bare Shell warehouse
Bare shell warehouse offer essential supplies and services while presenting a blank canvas for your business. Hiranandani Industrial Parks offers bare shell warehouses with 12m perimeter height at eaves, built-in sprinkler and firefighting systems, with industrial FM2 flooring. With these specifications, you avail the following benefits–
- You have complete control over the design and layout of your space.
- A bare shell warehouse provides you with flexibility in leasing. Depending on your business needs, you can negotiate a shorter or longer lease term.
- With bare shell warehouses, you can incorporate an automated storage & retrieval system (AS/RS), which helps reduce labour costs, maximise picking accuracy, and optimise vertical space.
- Warehouse logistics companies offering versatile solutions are preferred for scaling your business with improvisations.
The major driving force of E-commerce business is delivering even the most minor orders. The “no-minimum order” provision for customers has allowed more persistent sales. But it also implies that companies must have a quick turnaround time.
Cluster-picking is a cost-effective method that grabs items rather than the entire order. This error-free method scans goods’ SKU(stock-keeping unit), digitally confirming the right orders.
- This method is a time-efficient alternative and saves labour time.
- When integrated with WMS, it will pick up orders based on priority.
- Prone to lesser errors, thus saving operational costs.
- As a result, it ensures expeditious delivery.
WMS and consolidating your system
Setting up an e-commerce business can be a daunting task, but there are plenty of resources now available to help streamline the process, trusted by top logistics companies in Chennai.
Warehouse Management Systems
WMS is a software with predetermined protocols that assist in monitoring the daily operations of the warehouse. It also maintains a comprehensive record, accessible to all verticals of the company. With advanced WMS integrated through APIs (Application Programming Interface), all the functions can be consolidated with a single system, creating a synergy in the warehouse.
E-commerce functions efficiently with consolidated WMS, including the following parameters:
- Scheduling Shipping Software
- Ordering protocols
- Point of Sale (POS)/ shopping cart systems
- Accounting software
- Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) Solutions
Evaluating the KPIs
As an e-commerce business owner, regularly evaluating your key performance indicators (KPIs) is essential.
There are several different KPIs, but some of the top warehouse logistics companies utilise the following:
– Order volume: Helps segregate inventory based on highest orders, thus prioritising space accordingly.
– Records of the inventory: Sorting your inventory and maintaining a track record requires frequent attention. Digital records ensure accuracy in inventory management.
– Efficient receiving: When transitioning stock in the warehouse, all the data should be logged in immediately after verifying undamaged products. Hiranandani Industrial Parks offers dedicated docking facilities, enabling smooth transfer.
– Pick and Pack process: This performative measure depends on skilled labour. An hourly trail of the number of packing and picking orders will help determine the cost per order and improve time efficiency.
– Customer satisfaction rating: Evaluating the end-to-end order cycle will assist in accurate inventory management and keeping a track of every order. This will improve your customer ratings.
By tracking these KPIs, you’ll have insight into your business’s overall performance and help identify areas that need attention.
- The foundation of E-commerce is a customer-centric approach. Revolving your business around your target consumers will yield better results.
- For that purpose, you need efficient warehouses that can facilitate quick and efficient operations. Warehousing and logistics companies in Chennai are gaining huge traction due to the city’s industrial influence.
- The right software can help in centralising the operations of your enterprise.
- Tracking your KPIs and detecting faults will help in steady progress.
- Hiranandani Industrial Parks has the perfect infrastructure for all your business needs under a single domain.
Q1: Can I rent a warehouse for a small business?
A: It is generally advised that SMEs should start with leasing a warehouse. Hiranandani Industrial Parks offer leasing arrangements with flexible contract.
Q2: How do I ensure no damage to products during extreme weather conditions?
A: Selecting the apt location for your warehouse is the key. But for unforeseen climatic conditions, one must choose a reliable warehouse company. Hiranandani Industrial Parks in Red Hills, Chennai, has integrated flood-proof mechanisms in the warehousing facilities to ensure a seamless transition of goods during heavy downpour.
Q3: Which is the best WMS for an E-Commerce warehouse?
A: Top three current WMS software are:
- Oracle NetSuite ERP
- Infor WMS
- Zoho Inventory.